Tuesday, February 9, 2010

too many projects?

Do you ever feel like you have too many projects?

I know I do sometimes.

And yet, I don't know if I would want to give any of them up.

Currently, I am working on a novel, three stories, some random poetry, a few devotional ideas I've been kicking around in my head, and . . . hmmm. I'm not sure if there is something else I should be keeping track of at the moment.

And that's just in my writing life. In other news . . . well, we home school, I teach Pre-School and Kindergarten Sunday School, the girls have busy dancing schedules, we volunteer at Harbor Hope Cat Rescue, we cook a meal a month at church, we ski/snowboard, enjoy Bible Study with a small group, and . . . oh yeah, there's the housework I often forget to do.

And I don't want to give up any of it . . . except sometimes the housework. However, yesterday I realized I wouldn't really want to give that up. No, really.

I started a fire on my stovetop accidentally, and found myself extremely thankful to have a kitchen, and a house, no matter how much I dislike cleaning.

So, do I want to give any of that up? No. Should I postpone some of my writing projects and just focus on one? Well, I would if I could. However, my mind seems to work on "random" better than "defined".

I do have character lists, and a plot chart for my novel because otherwise I couldn't keep track of all the "little" characters in there, but at this point in my rough draft, I'm just "going for it," and not worried about the cleanliness of the project. The only issue with that is that I've begun wondering if this is why I often don't finish projects that I've started. Is it because I am too random? Or working on too many things at the same time?

So, is it possible to have too many projects?

2 comments:

Julie Dao said...

I am in the same boat, Tyrean! Sometimes I wish there were five of me so that each of us could work on a different story idea. Too many things to write, too little time. The best part about having multiple projects is that if you get bored or hit a roadblock with one, you switch to another. Unfortunately it requires a lot of multi-tasking skills which I sometimes don't have!

Karen Lange said...

I have many projects, much like you. I don't mind as long as I'm not stressing about getting to them all! It's hard sometimes to decide which gets the priority...
Blessings,
Karen