Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Eager for the Daily Walk?



Every morning, my mom and dad who live next door to my family, come to my house en route to our daily walk. Every morning at the same time, my dogs get my attention and walk me to the door, where they look out of the window with expectation written in every line of their bodies. They are eager, ready to go, and become more and more excited as my parents draw nearer.

However, sometimes I am still in my pajamas when they come. I am less eager. This daily walking habit sometimes feels dull.

The same scenario is reflected in my faith life. Every morning I try to put God’s Word first. However, sometimes, instead of being eager to have my daily walk with God, to read his word and experience his nearness, I veer off and read the latest news, or open my laptop and write.

I realized this morning, as my dogs stood waiting faithfully by the front door, I lack eagerness for my daily walk with God. I haven’t been watching for his approach, and waiting for him to draw near to me with excitement coursing through every fiber of my soul.

These thoughts drive me to my Bible with renewed conviction and repentance. The mercy, grace and peace I find in scripture mirror the forgiveness I feel when I bring this to the Lord in prayer.

Psalm 25:4-7 “Show me your ways, O Lord,
teach me your paths;
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.
Remember, O Lord, your great mercy
and love,
for they are from old.
Remember not the sins of my youth
and my rebellious ways;
according to your love remember me,
for you are good, O Lord.”

How about you? Are you eager to walk with God today?

If you have felt a lack of eagerness, then bring it to the Lord in prayer and dive into his word. I suggest not only Psalm 25, but also Deuteronomy 11:18-21, Matthew 25:1-13, Psalm 23, and Acts 2:1-4.

No comments: