Friday, April 8, 2011

G is for Goodness, and 365 Days of Blessings, Day 313

G is for Goodness!
Goodness
–noun
1. the state or quality of being good.
2. moral excellence; virtue.
3. kindly feeling; kindness; generosity.
4. excellence of quality: goodness of workmanship.
5. the best part of anything; essence; strength.
6. a euphemism for god: Thank goodness!

When I started this post a few days ago, I thought . . . oh, goodness, that will be easy. Not true. I started thinking of all the different connatations there are about goodness like "goodie two shoes", and "looking good," that don't really fit what I mean about goodness. I even thought about the section of scripture where Jesus states that only God is good, and then back in Genesis when God creates the world, and each day, He says, "it is good."

So, what happened to goodness? The fall into sin in the Garden plunged our world into something less than good/sinful, and Christ bought us back with his body and blood. When we allow the Holy Spirit to work in our lives, goodness is a fruit of God's work in us. So what does that fruit look like? A nice outfit? A great body? The kind of goodness that causes bullies to call us "goodie two shoes"? I don't think so.

And since I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around goodness this morning, what does that mean for my "good" characters in my writing? What qualities do they need to have, or actions do they need to do, that will make them good?

If I go back to the definition, I see the words "moral excellence" - ok, that's a tough phrase again for me. Does that mean never making mistakes, or does it mean admitting them, and then turning in the right direction?

Other words I see that are a bit easier for me are: kindness, generosity, essence and strength. Those are easier for me to grasp. I've seen them at work.

And there's the rub. I think I associate goodness with certain actions. Goodness means the act of giving to me. God is good. Because He is. And because He gave His son for us. Because He gave us life, breath, a world to live in, and relationships to build. He gives us good works to do.

So here are 14 organizations that represent Goodness and that I count as Blessings today (in no particular order):

1. World Vision

2. Samaritan's Purse

3. Compassion International

4. Lutheran World Relief

5. Water.org

6. YWAM Youth With a Mission

7. YMCA

8. Open Doors

9. World Mission Prayer League

10. Gideons International I have only one reservation about Gideons International, and that it is an organization that seems to be soley for men. However, I appreciate their heart for getting Bibles out to people all over the world.

11. Dolphin Research Center one of the organizations that actually does take care of the animals they work with on a daily basis.

12. Harbor Hope Cat Rescue - I wish I had a web page for this one, but they do have a facebook page now. Harbor Hope Cat Rescue on Facebook

13. Habitat For Humanity

14. Go Missions

Scripture Blessings:
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting post. You know, I rattle off those fruits of the spirit and rarely pause to consider goodness. So true that we associate it with actions...with 'doing good' and not necessarily as a part of our innate being.

Love the blog!

http://athursdayschild.wordpress.com said...

I've been learning the word sattvic lately, associated with goodness.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Trudy - Thanks!

A Thursday Child - Interesting. Have to look that one up.