Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday Blessings, 365 Days of Blessings, Day 315



This week has been interesting, full of ups and downs.

My mom-in-law was in an accident at Whistler and has three broken ribs and a broken clavicle.

My dad, coming home from the southern states with my Mom in their RV, has been feeling sicker and sicker. They stopped at one hospital, and now, another. They are only five hours away from home and his regular doctors, but the docs at the hospital where he's at are trying to figure out what's wrong.

In the midst of all of that, we enjoyed some amazingly beautiful days at Whistler resort, skiing and boarding on some of our most favorite runs in the world. We visited with family. We swam, and hot-tubbed, and even did a little walking in the snow between the hot tub and pool. We laughed with cousins, aunts, uncles, and Grandparents. We rested a little, and played a lot. We packed a huge amount in 4 and 1/2 days.

We're home for a bit, and then we'll be off again for an even bigger vacation. My parents, if all is well, will take care of our dogs and cat, and house.

I feel as if we are in the middle of a balance, or a teeter totter, waiting for one thing or another to fall or rise to the occasion.

Have you ever felt like that? In the middle of joy and grief? Not sure whether to smile or feel sad? Or feeling some odd mix?

The A to Z Challenge, and my blessing count have given me a reason to see the rainbows, to rise in joy instead of falling in sadness. Worship today at church felt tailored to my emotional state even though when we were planning it I had no idea I would be where I am today. I am thankful for God's voice in my wilderness, his provision that amazes me every time.

10 Sunday Blessings

1. Picking up my dogs and cat at the kennel this morning. Their joy is infectious. And I know they have been well cared for, by their relaxed postures and their glad goodbyes to the staff.

2. Making it to church on time . . .or at least within reason.

3. Great announcments at church that make me rejoice! We have a prayer ministry that is thriving, plans for community service, and plans for a fun retreat to Creation Fest 2011.

4. Singing: Come, Just As You Are.

5. Ephesians 6:10-20, putting on the armor of God so we can stand firm.

6. Psalm 130, my soul waits for the Lord.

7. The book of Job - Job is tested but true.

8. A good sermon message: Know the Enemy, and be prepared to stand firm, relying on the Lord.

9. Phones. This is an odd one for someone like me, slightly phone-a-phobic, but today and yesterday, and all the days when I have wondered just how my Dad is doing, or my mom-in-law, I have had great reason to be thankful for phones.

10. A picture of the "kids" in Whistler village, not long after they had fun on the spinning toy on the playground: (Notice my husband is in the "kids" picture)



Scripture Blessings:

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."
Ephesians 6:10-20



"Out of the depths I have cried to You, O LORD;
Lord, hear my voice!
Let Your ears be attentive
To the voice of my supplications.

If You, LORD, should mark iniquities,
O Lord, who could stand?
But there is forgiveness with You,
That You may be feared.

I wait for the LORD, my soul waits,
And in His word I do hope.
My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning—
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.

O Israel, hope in the LORD;
For with the LORD there is mercy,
And with Him is abundant redemption.
And He shall redeem Israel
From all his iniquities."
Psalm 130


"There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was blameless and upright, and one who feared God and shunned evil." Job 1:1

6 comments:

ali cross said...

Hi Tyrean! I'm glad you found me, because I NEED your blog! It's a breath of fresh air, thank you!

I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL's accident, and your dad's unknown illness. I hope he's able to get some answers soon.

((hugs and prayers))

Ciara said...

I love this concept.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's illness, and MIL's accident.

Praying for you.

I'm a fellow A-Z challenger and a new follower. :)

Susan Oloier said...

I am so sorry about your dad and your MIL. I do so love Whistler. My husband I had our honeymoon there. It was amazing. I would love to go back.
Hope things turn away from grief and more toward joy for you.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks for all your amazing prayers! God is gracious and has given us a reprieve today, and I am rejoicing for good health. My dad is out of the hospital and it turns out had a bad case of food poisoning with some complications. He should be ok now.

Karen Lange said...

Have been in that place between joy and grief and back and forth for some time. It's a challenge but also a place where God can work. :) Will pray for your family.
Blessings,
Karen

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks Karen!