Saturday, August 20, 2011

Barefoot in the Park Birthday

(Photo by David April)





Have you ever walked barefoot in the park, or just the grass outside, and let the cool seep in through the soles of your feet on a hot summer day?





Have you ever truly stopped to smell a rose?




Or dipped your toes in cool water?





Eaten watermelon for lunch?





Today's my 40th's birthday.




I've been asked these last few weeks to plan a celebration or allow my husband to surprise me, and I just couldn't. There were too many other events on the horizon . . . or at least that's what I told myself. I didn't think that 40 mattered that much to me, but suddenly it did.




It felt heavy. A day that full of weight, circumstance, and measure. I started to weight and measure the circumstances of my life and ask myself these kinds of questions: What had I done with my life that mattered, really? Had I succeeded, lost enough weight, measured up?







Until I woke at 3a.m. this morning and realized, I would rather walk barefoot in the park and smell the roses than measure my life's worth against some kind of crazy scale of worldly success.






That's never been me, so why would I think of doing that on my birthday?!






So today and tomorrow (I can't just celebrate once!) I'm going to walk barefoot in cool grass, eat watermelon for lunch, dip my toes in the ocean, smell roses, go for a walk, and spend some time on, near, and in the water.







If you would like to help me celebrate my birthday, I invite you to walk barefoot in the grass, eat watermelon, smell a rose, enjoy some water in a lake, ocean, or river. Enjoy life!



"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again, I say: Rejoice!" Philippians 4:4

8 comments:

Angie said...

Sounds like the perfect celebration. I will be forty myself in three weeks! It rocks. Right?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Happy birthday!
They say it's just a number, but I didn't take forty well either. Growing old is a scary thing, even when we know where we're going in the end.

Carol Riggs said...

Excellent reminder post!! Happy happy #40! I turned 51 this year and am finally making headway with my writing goals (having an agent, etc). God's timing and schedule, not mine!

Pam Williams said...

Happy 40th Birthday, Tyrean! I left that number in the dust 18 years ago! LOL! Your celebration sounds perfect to me--water fun and watermelon--two of my favorite things!
Pam

Karen Lange said...

Happy Birthday! :) Glad you had a good day (I saw your FB status:)

You know, it's strange, for one day you are 39, or 49 or 59, and the next day, your birthday, takes you into the next decade. Nothing has changed other than the number, but the number can wreak havoc on your mind and emotions. And it really shouldn't, because God still loves us and we are still the amazingly blessed person we were the day before. So our best plan of attack should be to do just what you did, keep on living and celebrating His hand on our lives and His marvelous blessings.

Birthday hugs,
Karen

P.S. I did actually have some watermelon today!

Keena said...

I turned 40 this year and it really didnt bother me. I have great expectations for this decade. Now, 50! That may be another story. I agree w/ you totally. ENJOY THE LITTLE MOMENTS!!! Happy Birthday! I hope it was a great day full of blessings!!

Joanne said...

I am always barefoot in and around the house...I hate shoes! Have an awesome birthday!

P.S I had tons of watermelon today too!
Blessings, Joanne

Tyrean Martinson said...

Angie - Happy Birthday early! And yes, it rocks!!! :-)

Alex - Thanks! I totally agree - there is something about certain ages that feel "big" even when we know that this is just a "dot" of a moment compared to eternity.

Golden Eagle - Thanks!!!

Carol - Thanks! God's timing is always right - good reminder for me!

Pam - Thank you! Water - a necessary ingredient not only for life but for fun, and fruit!

Karen - Thank you for your sweet birthday wishes and your wisdom. Glad you had some watermelon too!

Keena - Thanks! I had a weekend full of sweet blessings, and I know what you mean about this decade - I have high expecations!

Joanne - Thanks! Barefoot is the way to be . . . unless you have to be at an office job. My husband wears shoes around the house, and I just don't get it. I like having bare feet, and then I can throw on my shoes if I'm planning on going far from home.
Glad you had tons of watermelon!