Monday, January 28, 2013

Let Me Re-Introduce Myself

Re-Introduce Myself Blogfest brought to you by Mark Koopmans, Elise Fallson, and C.M. Brown, and Stephen Tremp. Warning: I went back and re-read the requirements late and this is way over the word count. I'll bold the stuff that's kind of important.

With an amazing amount of new followers just in the last year, I couldn't pass up this opportunity to re-introduce myself and my blog to you.

I'm Tyrean Martinson. Tyrean is actually pronounced with a hard "e" sound like in the words read, or lean. (there are many examples, you don't want to get me started on it, really). My parents wanted my name to be pronounced that way, but didn't want to put two "e" letters in my name. They thought they were making it up with a little help from a John Wayne movie. (She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, character with two lines) It turns out that it's actually Irish, and well, with some research you can find it's even older than that because it can mean "person from the city of Tyre."

Spellchecker doesn't like my name and often wants to replace it with tyrant. My family finds this pretty funny. One of my cousins used to call me "Tiring Tyrean," and some of my childhood neighbors remembered my name by saying "Tire-Swing Tyrean" because I had a tire swing in my yard. (I still do)

I started this blog so I could have a clickable name at on-line publishing sites like Every Day Poets and Every Day Fiction. I had a few poems and a story out at the time, and since I had searched out a few other authors and liked their blogs, I thought it would be fun to have my own. I didn't know what I was doing. (sometimes it's obvious I still don't)

My blog name came from Winnie-the-Pooh's Thoughtful Spot, with my own twist. I like to sit and think, dream, muse, daydream, and imagine "what if?"
My content is based on my writing, my life, and my faith in Jesus. I also happen to like scifi, fantasy, literature, and anything with an adventurous twist. I love to read (but I don't write many book reviews), and I love to watch fun movies.

I've written short stories, poems, devotionals, a few rough draft novels, and one novel that I'm about to self-publish. Champion in the Darkness is YA Christian Fantasy, and if you want to know more, check out the tab above on the right. Just a few more weeks, and it's out! 

Blogging has been a wonderful experience for me, going beyond the "clickable name" and onto finding friends and encouragement, and then onto sharing that encouragement with others.

So, why do you blog? And can you tell me one thing about yourself that I might not already know?
  

 


29 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Blogger's spell check doesn't like your name either.
So do you still swing on your tire swing?
Couple more weeks - get excited!

mshatch said...

I started blogging to connect with other writers and have a platform and blogging sounded like something I'd enjoy. As for something you might not know about me, hmm...how about the fact that except for 2 years in California I've never lived anywhere except for the east coast.

jaybird said...

That's funny about spell check "Tyrant" is not how anyone in real life would think of you- ever.

I blog because I love to read, write and meet new people. Blogging allows me to do all three at once, go me!

Tonja Drecker said...

:) Nothing likes my name either. Congrats on you up-coming book!!!! Nice meeting you again.

Jennie Bennett said...

Holy cow, I was pronouncing your name right, I feel totally awesome now!

Anyway, I blog becasue I love the community, and I've learned so much along the way. Great to get to know you again :)

Al Diaz said...

I like your name but I'm just finding out I pronounce it wrong. :)

quietspirit said...

I also pronounce your name correctly. Don't you get tired of all the nicknames?

I blog in order to share my writing with others. My pastor suggested I start a blog in order to do this.

Mark Means said...

Nice to meet you and I always wondered how you pronounced your name...now I know...thanks :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - I know. And yes, I'm excited!!! A little swamped but excited!

mshatch - sounds like a great reason to blog! Always on the East coast . . .you must love it there.

jaybird - Thanks! Those sound like great reasons to love blogging!

T Drecker - nice meeting you again too, and Thanks!

JA - Cool! And I've learned loads along the way too!

Al - Thanks. Sorry about that.

quietspirit - you have a wise pastor!

Mark - nice to meet you again too! And cool.

Christine Rains said...

That's hilarious about spellcheck! Mine name always wants to be Christmas. Thanks for sharing a little bit about yourself.

DL Hammons said...

Long time no see! So happy this blogfest provided a way to re-connect! :)

Livia Peterson said...

I've been trying to figure out how to pronounce your name since I met you here! Now I know - thanks!

I started a blog because I wanted my voice to heard and that's what I got and then some: awesome bloggy friends :)

Nice to re-meet ya! *hugs*

Allison said...

Nice to re-meet you! Woohoo on the upcoming date for your novel!

Allison (Geek Banter)

Jeff Hargett said...

I feel so smart now. I actually pronounced an unusual name correctly by instinct. Will wonders never cease? I'm glad you went from clickable name to blogstar! :)

Anonymous said...

Spellcheck wants me to be Media or Median.

I guessed the pronunciation of your name correctly. :)

Elise Fallson said...

Hi Tyrean! Like Medeia, I also have been pronouncing your name correctly, in my head that is. But I think it's a fluke, because I'm usually great at pronouncing words incorrectly, especially uncommon names. Anyway, I think you have a lovely name. As for blogging, I started about a year ago. I was working on my wip and a friend suggested I get out there and meet other writers. And, I'm glad I did.

Unknown said...

Spell check is not infallible! Nice to meet you and thanks for taking part in the Blogfest.

quietspirit said...

Whenever I get those wavy lines under a name, I go to the drop-down/pop up menu and choose "add to dictionary.'

Sean McLachlan said...

Don't worry about the word count, I went way over it too. We're writers, we don't need no stinkin word counts!

Sean McLachlan said...

Don't worry about the word count, I went way over it too. We're writers, we don't need no stinkin word counts!

Laura Clipson said...

Nice to re-meet you :) I've been pronouncing your name wrong, sorry! At least I know now :)

Elsie Amata said...

That wasn't long at all but I think it was super sweet of you to go back and bold everything. =)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Christine/Christmas - spellcheck makes for some fun twists on names! Nice to re-meet you too.

DL - me too!

Livia - nice to re-meet you too. Hugs!

Allison - Thanks!

Jeff - LOL - blogstar - hardly, but thanks!

Medeia - spellcheck can make our lives interesting sometimes.

Elise - thanks! I'm glad you're blogging!!!

CM - nice to re-meet you too!

quietspirit - good idea! I wish more people would do that - I've actually had a few e-mail accidentally addressed to tyrant.

Sean -love your attitude

Laura - no big deal, that's normal for me. Nice to re-meet you!

Elsie - Thanks!

Azara said...

Spell-checkers don't like my name either (it's not the name I blog under), to the point that I've had to leave e-mails unsigned because I couldn't figure out how to turn off the auto-correct on my phone. Then again, at least it doesn't change it to "tyrant". How unfortunate.

I blog to keep myself in the habit of writing and to connect with others. I love hearing such different perspectives

Tyrean Martinson said...

Azara - good reason to blog!!!

Trisha said...

My favourite name spell check story is this Australian journalist John Pilger's name being changed to John Piglet ;) That was from back in my high school days and I still love it.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Trisha -that's an awesome name change story! Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Chancelet said...

My family would have a blast if spell check did something like that with my name. I have to say I laughed when I read that. Congrats on your book!

Tara Tyler said...

yay for ty-rean! my name is often mispronounced, misspelled, or misunderstood...ah well! a different name is a good thing!