Monday, April 1, 2013

A to Z: Assault?

The A to Z Challenge is posting every day in April except Sundays (we get those off for good behavior.) And since there are 26 days, that matches the 26 letters of the alphabet. On April 1, blog about something that begins with the letter “A.” April 2 is “B,” April 3 is “C,” and so on. This awesome challenge is hosted by founder Arlee Bird at Tossing It Out, Damyanti Biswas at Amlokiblogs, Alex J. Cavanaugh, Tina Downey at Life is Good, DL Hammons at Cruising Altitude 2.0, Jeremy Hawkins at Retro-Zombie, Shannon Lawrence at The Warrior Muse, Matthew MacNish at The QQQE, Konstanz Silverbow at No Thought 2 Small, Stephen Tremp at Breakthrough Blogs, Livia Peterson at Leave it to Livia, L. Diane Wolfe at Spunk on a Stick, and Nicole at The Madlab Post

My A to Z theme is fencing and swordplay, focusing mainly on fencing terminology, but with a few favorite movie fencing moments thrown into the mix too. Why: I love fencing and swordplay!

Our first term just goes to show that formal fencing terms don't often fit regular definitions for words.

Assault means: a friendly combat between two fencers.

Foil fencing practice . . .friendly combat.


Other awesome A words for fencing and swordplay:
  • Absence of blade: when the blades are not touching; opposite of engagement.
  • Advance: a movement forward by step, cross, or balestra.
  • Aids: the last three fingers of the sword hand.
  • Analysis: reconstruction of the fencing phrase to determine priority of touches.
  • Attack: the initial offensive action made by extending the sword arm and continuously threatening the valid target of the opponent. Attack au Fer: an attack that is prepared by deflecting the opponent's blade, eg. beat, press, froissement.

  •  
    And, a late, but most important addition to this post:
    ARLEE BIRD ROCKS!!! He started A to Z, and he keeps this blogging community close and thriving.


    24 comments:

    Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

    I'm going to use some of those terms today and confuse a few people!

    Al Diaz said...

    You gotta tell me tomorrow what's a balestra and on F I hope you include froissement or I'll have to look them up. ;)

    Barbara Watson said...

    Yes, the word certainly mean something else in fencing.

    mshatch said...

    oh I may need to take notes on this theme! Very cool :)

    Natalie Aguirre said...

    Thanks for sharing. I may use some of this.

    Dani said...

    I'm definitely using these in my writings!

    Dani @ Entertaining Interests
    #warriorminion

    L. Diane Wolfe said...

    Assault mean a friendly combat - I didn't know that.

    Dani and Jax said...

    This is a great vocab and definitions!

    Cover Girls

    Tyrean Martinson said...

    Alex - LOL - that's funny!

    Al - yes, I'll define balestra and froissment although they won't be my "main" words of the day.

    Natalie - Great!

    Dani - Cool! Glad to hear it!

    Diane - Yes, it's definitely a different definition than we normally think of for that word.

    Dani - Thanks! Glad you liked them!

    cleemckenzie said...

    There are fencing terms from A-Z? Guess I'll find out!

    Unknown said...

    I actually did a little research on fencing for something I wrote once. It was fascinating to learn about the terms. I had no idea there was so much involved with the sport.

    Laura Clipson said...

    Some interesting insight into fencing there :)

    Karen Lange said...

    Good A post! :) Looks like you are off to a wonderful start. I agree, Arlee rocks!

    Samantha May said...

    I've always wanted to fence, but I'm such a wimp I'd probably run away screaming if someone actually came after me :P

    Awesome theme! Can't wait to learn more!

    Crystal Collier said...

    Cool beans! Now I'm going to bookmark you and label it "swordplay". Yay!

    Mark Means said...

    I've always wanted to try fencing. Maybe I've watched too much of the old 'Highlander' series..who knows?

    Great start and looking forward to more!

    Jeff Hargett said...

    oooh, me thinks me will learn some stuff from you this month! Looking forward to it!

    Unknown said...

    I loved the article. And I think I'm going to follow Alex's example/idea!

    Unknown said...

    Good idea for A! Great definitions! New follower.

    Check out my blog: morgankatz505.blogspot.com

    Tyrean Martinson said...

    C. Lee - Yes, there are fencing terms from A to Z, although I may be cheating a little for Z.

    Julie - It's great sport, and fun if you like both an aggressive sport as well as a thoughtful one - chess for active people . . . (although I'm not active enough anymore)

    Laura - Thanks!

    Karen - Thank you! And yes, Arlee is a wonderful part of the blogging world!

    Samantha - I don't believe it. You've overcome adversity in a big way before this, so I think you could take on a fencing team. :) And Thanks!

    Crystal - Cool! Thanks!

    Jeff - Thanks!!!

    Morgan - Thank you! I'll be by to check out your blog in a little bit.

    Tyrean Martinson said...

    Mark - Highlander is awesome! And I highly recommend fencing . . . it's great fun and exercise.

    Michelle said...

    There's some awesome terminology in this sport! (you know how I love words...) Attack au Fer, sounds so cool!
    Arlee rocks! For sure!

    Misha Gerrick said...

    FENCING!!! You're a woman after my own heart. :-D

    In fact, I'm going to pick the sport up again this weekend. Your post reminded me to let the coach know.

    Tyrean Martinson said...

    Misha - Love that! I would love to restart . . . I'm a bit rusty after too long away, and these posts are making me long to join the nearest fencing club again.