Monday, April 22, 2013

A to Z: Sabre



  • Sabre: a fencing weapon with a flat blade and knuckle guard, used with cutting or thrusting actions; a military sword popular in the 18th to 20th centuries; any cutting sword used by cavalry.

  • That's the dictionary definition.

    Saber/Sabre - the most awesome, realistic fencing weapon fenced competitively at district, regional, national and international events! (my definition)

    A lesser known fact about saber: Women's saber fencing didn't get added to the Olympics until Athens 2004! Really. Around the world, fencing has always been a bit of a "men's club", but for some reason, even after decades of women fencing foil and epee, saber fencing was seen as too rough and aggressive for women. Ha! Women were fencing saber in the USA far before the Olympics allowed women's saber competition, and because of that, in 2004, US Women took Gold and Bronze. Of course, now women's saber is being fenced competitively all over the world and the competition is becoming fierce.

    Oh, and as I mentioned before, there are personality stereotypes that seem to go with each weapon. Foil fencers are considered to be every day Joes and Jills; epee fencers are often graceful and reserved; and saber fencers are considered aggressive, passionate, sometimes even arrogant. 
    However, these are just stereotypes, and plenty of saber fencers are really fun people to hang out with and talk to . . .of course, I could just think that because I used to be one. :) (or at least I used to fence both foil and saber)

    I had a cool video, but it was removed from youtube between the time I wrote this and the time I posted. Sorry. I don't have time this morning to replace it. :(

    There are loads of other "S" terms in fencing, but don't worry, the rest of the alphabet is sparse for fencing lingo.

  • Salle: a fencing hall or club.
  • Salute: with the weapon, a customary acknowledgement of one's opponent and referee at the start and end of the bout.
  • Schlager: German fraternity duelling sword, used with cuts to the face and no footwork. (I had never heard of this before but found it in a fencing glossary and thought it might be interesting to research at some point)
  • Second Intention: a false action used to draw a response from the opponent, which will open the opportunity for the intended action that follows, typically a counter-riposte.
  • Seconde: parry #2; blade down and to the outside, wrist pronated.
  • Septime: parry #7; blade down and to the inside, wrist supinated.
  • Simple: executed in one movement; an attack or riposte that involves no feints.
  • Simultaneous: in foil and sabre, two attacks for which the right-of-way is too close to determine.  
  • Single-time: also "stesso tempo"; parry-riposte as a single action.
  • Sixte: parry #6; blade up and to the outside, wrist supinated.
  • Small Sword: a light duelling sword popular in the 17th-18th centuries, precursor to the foil. (Something I would like to research more.)
  • Stop Hit: a counter-attack that hits; also a counter-attack whose touch is valid by virtue of its timing.
  • Stop Cut: a stop-hit with the edge in sabre, typically to the sleeve.


  • Happy A to Z!
    Remember, live and write with passion!
    (That's one of the lessons I think we can learn from saber fencers)

     

    13 comments:

    Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

    Bummer the video has been removed.
    Probably couldn't do the saber fencing. I'm only aggressive when driving.

    Tyrean Martinson said...

    Alex - Thanks for letting me know. I'll see if I can replace it.
    It's not actually that aggressive . . .that's just the stereotype.

    jaybird said...

    I like your definition better than the dictionary for sure! LOL

    Unknown said...

    It's nice to move beyond our "light sabre" image to a more real idea of what this is. I had no idea there were personality stereotypes associated with the sport. Amazing what "insiders" know!

    SK Anthony said...

    Booo for the video being removed, not cool! :-/

    Well, I'm glad women were able to show them, ha! Take that stupid stereotyping...

    Natalie Aguirre said...

    Fun post. Silly men thinking women couldn't do this type of fencing. Glad you and the other women showed them wrong.

    L. Diane Wolfe said...

    2004? That wasn't that long ago.

    Julie Flanders said...

    Crazy to think the women couldn't do this in the Olympics until 2004. Glad that boy's club was smashed.

    Al Diaz said...

    I would really love to see a picture of your saber!

    Misha Gerrick said...

    Mmm... The way I heard it, Eppeeists help blind people over the road. Sabreurs shove them in front of buses. Foilists tell them it's safe to cross then there's a steamroller on the way...

    ;-)

    Mark Means said...

    I think it's interesting how certain personality types tend to use certain sorts of blades.

    Cool stuff :)

    Anonymous said...

    I've been looking high and low, and it seems that most liberal arts schools are populated by heavy drinkers and partiers, which I am not interested in. If I can, I'd like to double major in creative writing and journalism.. Thank you!.
    [url=http://bonoes.webs.com/l bonoes.webs.com/[/url]

    Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

    Oh my word! I can see there is so much to learn in fencing!