Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A to Z: Thrust


T is for Thrust: an attack made by moving the sword parallel to its length and landing with the point.

 Yes, this is one of the same pics I used for lunge. However, it works. A thrust is simply a point forward attack. The fencer doesn't have to lunge, just move that sword out parallel to the ground, pointing at the opponent and thrust, from a lunge, a standing position, or with fancy footwork.

  • Target: The portion of the opponent’s body which may be touched with the sword to score points. Foil's target is torso. Epee's target is the entire body, except back of the head, and Saber's target is from the waist up.
  • Thrown Point: a "flick". These are tricky and depend on the flexibility of the blade - I never was very good at them, but my coach was - he kept his blade flexible, and even bent it slightly into a "flickable" shape, and then it just took the right wrist motion to bring the tip of the blade down and around the opponent's parry. (However, sometimes right of way is hard to judge on these.) 
  • Tierce: parry #3; blade up and to the outside, wrist pronated.
  • Time Hit: also time-thrust; old name for stop hit with opposition.
  • Touch: A hit with the point of the weapon or a cut with the edge of the sabre, scoring a point.
  • Touche: the French word for "touched" is used to acknowledge a hit, called out by the fencer who is hit.
  • Trompement: deception of the parry

  • An application for writing:

    In writing, like fencing, sometimes it's best to stick to the point and go for a direct line of attack through the storyline.



    BTW, I thought I might not be able to visit much today since I'm sitting with my dad at the hospital while he has hand surgery, but so far, so good. So far, the only dilemma facing him: whether or not to take off the insert for his prosthetic leg before having hand surgery. The small joy of hospitals: bendy straws.

     


    18 comments:

    Al Diaz said...

    I was expecting to find the word Touche just to make sure I was writing it correctly. It would have been faster to go to the dictionary but I knew I would find my homework here, hahaha.

    Tyrean Martinson said...

    Al . . .glad to help you with your homework!

    Julie Flanders said...

    Best wishes to your dad, Tyrean! I hope his surgery goes smoothly and there are no complications. Take care!

    Jennie Bennett said...

    So sorry to hear about your dad! I hope everything goes well! I like the idea of attacking my plot, I need to get on that!

    jaybird said...

    Sending prayers to your dad.

    And I need to stick to the point, a whole lot more than I do now. I always tend to digress.

    Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

    Hope everything goes well with your father.

    Anonymous said...

    "Thrust." Giggle, giggle, snicker, snicker. "She said, 'Thrust,'"

    Bendy straws. Love them. Just used a few when my mom was in the hospital. Best wishes and a speedy recovery for your father.

    Anonymous said...

    "Thrust." Giggle, giggle, snicker, snicker. "She said, 'Thrust,'"

    Bendy straws. Love them. Just used a few when my mom was in the hospital. Best wishes and a speedy recovery for your father.

    Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

    You are in my thoughts. I hope your father is all right. Keep us posted.

    Tonja Drecker said...

    I'll keep your father in my prayers... and you too :)

    Jan Morrison said...

    This is wonderful - thanks for this great metaphor! And good luck to your dad.

    Unknown said...

    The phrase, "direct line of attack" just produced a lightbulb moment for me with a scene I'm struggling with, so thank you very much.

    I hope your Dad's surgery went well.

    Christine Rains said...

    Hope your father heals up well and you enjoy your bendy straws. :)

    klahanie said...

    Hi Tyrean,

    Firstly, sorry to read that your dad is enduring the wonders of hospital. I know my way around hospitals more than I wish to. Wishing him and you, well.

    Me thinks that the old adage, the pen is mightier than the sword, almost makes a point here. And before I make Épée of myself, I shall now leave.

    Gary :)

    Claudia Moser said...

    What an unexpected choice for T! Good health, me also fighting a nasty cold!

    Pam Kingsley said...

    I love your posts, and this one in particular. I'm really impressed at the way you keep managing to link fencing to writing :)
    Happy A-Z-ing!

    Unknown said...

    I'm very impressed with your knowledge of of fencing and how you have been to make connections on each post to writing. Happy A-Z!

    nanmock.blogspot.com

    Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

    The thrust is so artistic in its execution, lovely balance and agility and speed!