Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A to Z: Yellow Card! and Zeck, and Zorro

Yellow Card: a warning; used to indicate a minor rule infraction by one of the fencers.
Hopefully, I can get away with just a yellow card after accidentally missing Monday's post. I hope you all forgive me.

It was a crazy full day, from an out-of-sorts morning, to homeschool co-op classes with extras like yearbooks and class lists for next year, to an afternoon of curriculum planning with my youngest (I like to let my kids help me pick their lessons, within reason), back to a special, formal event at our co-op, the Premier, One-Night-Only showing of The Lady of the Earrings, a parody on the works of Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Lewis Carrol, and other modern fantasy/dystopian films created by the performing arts class (my oldest was in there). It was a red carpet event with every "Hollywood" detail added by the teacher, including a crew of kid paparazzi, and funny interviews with the stars in full "Hollywood" character, and dressed in evening gowns from the Goodwill. It was a wonderful night that ended late, and when my head hit the pillow I didn't even dream of A to Z. (sorry)

So, hopefully, you all just gave me a yellow warning card, and not a black card, which would kick me out of the tournament of A to Z.

Zeck: To deliver a slight hit with the weapon when in close combat. A distracting hit or provocation. This term is found at ARMA's site under Medieval German Martial Terms. The problem is, I'm not sure if it's a slight hit weapon-on-weapon (which makes the most sense), or if it's a slight hit on the opponent, which could be more than just a distraction.

Oh, and here's a few clips from Zorro (my original Z):





Happy A to Z!

And Many Thanks to: founder Arlee Bird at Tossing It Out, Damyanti Biswas at Amlokiblogs, Alex J. Cavanaugh, Tina Downey at Life is Good, DL Hammons at Cruising Altitude 2.0, Jeremy Hawkins at Retro-Zombie, Shannon Lawrence at The Warrior Muse, Matthew MacNish at The QQQE, Konstanz Silverbow at No Thought 2 Small, Stephen Tremp at Breakthrough Blogs, Livia Peterson at Leave it to Livia, L. Diane Wolfe at Spunk on a Stick, and Nicole at The Madlab Post
You've all made this challenge rock! Thank you!

14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We won't even give you a yellow card for missing! It happens. But you finished the Challenge - good for you.

Julie Flanders said...

Congratulations on finishing, Tyrean! I really enjoyed your theme and learned so much about fencing, it was fun. :)

Brandon Ax said...

You put a video of one of my favorite scenes in one of my favorite movies. I love the idea of the circles he had to move through to advance.

Natalie Aguirre said...

We totally forgive you. Congrats on finishing and sharing so much about fencing with us.

SK Anthony said...

Love this scene!

You missed what? I saw nothing!
Congratulations on finishing the challenge ;)

Claudia Moser said...

Congratulations for reaching the end, well done!

Nick Wilford said...

Sounds like it was a fun night!

And even at the end I'm still learning new words. Thanks for zeck!

Al Diaz said...

But you did all letters in the end. Bravo for you!
And I like the Zorro very much. :)

M Pax said...

I like the idea of a zeck. I see many uses for such maneuvers in fiction. :D

I won't even give you a yellow card. All green from here... hopefully that's good.

Mark Means said...

I was hoping my favorite swordsman would get a mention....well done and congrats on completing the challenge.

I liked your theme and you taught me a thing or two (or three) about this great sport.

Thanks! :)

Andrea said...

You did it! You finished, congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations in completing the A to Z Challenge.

Yvonne
A to Z AMBASSADOR.

Fe said...

Congratulations on your finishing A-Z.

Your blog is great.

Michelle Wallace said...

Congratulations on crossing the A to Z finishing line!

Writer In Transit