Thursday, September 25, 2014

Celebrations and Do You Have Goals?

It's time to celebrate again!!! (A day early, a dollar short . . . no wait, just a day early)

http://viklit.blogspot.com/Thank you Viklit!
This week, I'm celebrating:
1. Survival - there's been some humorous exploits, bee stings, forgotten medication, major tooth aches, and fence climbing with ripped jeans adventures this week in my household  . . . TGIF!!!

2. My kids and all of their talents, adventures, and inner beauty.

3. My husband isn't volunteering 30 hours this week in addition to his 40+ hour job. It's good to see him when he's awake. :)

4. An adventure ahead . . . O, Canada. (more about that next time)

5. Really sweet compliments from moms of kids in my classes at our homeschool co-op. ("My son wrote pages and pages for his story," "My son actually likes your writing assignments!" "My son has never written this much before willingly.") They blew me away and it felt really good to hear that maybe I can turn some reluctant writers into enthusiastic writers. :)



Do You Have Goals? Check-IN with Misha and Beth

Goals: Yes!
Progress for September: finished writing two books worth of notes and assignments for two of my homeschool classes.

Originally, I planned to publish them for sale, but I decided just to private publish them with Lulu for my classes. By the end of April 2015, I hope to have them polished (perfectionist moment) and have student examples included in them. So, this is a dream goal that has been slightly postponed. There's a homeschool book fair that I would like to attend as "vendor" in June with my class books and my fiction books.

This means that instead of 2-3 books published for sale this year, it's going to just be 2 . . . unless I self-pub a few short stories in ebook format, and I'm not sure I can "count" that.

Write 1 Sub 1 update: September is almost gone and, yikes, I haven't finished or submitted a story yet! I have 5 days left. Time to get cracking on that.

Other crazy dream goals/ideas for the next three months: Champion's Destiny took a backburner with my prep for teaching. My goal for October is to complete the rough draft of that, and outline a different novel - either Sacred/Sacrifice or Captain Wrath (the last time I tried to wrangle him into a novel size project, it died a painful, slow death - is he ready this time, maybe?). I will be participating in NaNo somehow. December is the month I plan to either finish up stray ends of projects, write short stories and poetry, or just take a break.

So, it's been a good month, although the last few weeks have been more about journaling, making lists, and wrestling with the first chapter of Champion's Destiny over and over again. I think I'm going to just jump into chapter two and turn off the evil inner editor.

Of course, I keep finding mistakes in this post that I accidentally posted a day early . . . so the evil inner editor needs to do a little more work before I send her packing. :)

23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Bee stings? No fun!
I'm sure your husband is glad to see you while he's awake as well.

Tyrean Martinson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luanne G. Smith said...

Curious about "O, Canada." Hope that means a trip north. And go, go, go on those writing goals. Sub one before the end of the month. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

No, stings are not much fun, but we have yet to track down the ground hornet nest that we think is near the end of our driveway (they attack when we go out for a walk/run/newspaper.
On the bright side though, my husband is home tomorrow all day!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, that's what it means! :) Thanks for your encouragement. I'm feeling "idealess" which is a strange state for me - usually I have ideas pouring out all over the place.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sometimes surviving is a good goal. Have fun in Canada!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, sometimes it is. :) Thanks, Natalie!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

If you're inspiring non-writers to write, that's a good thing.

Unknown said...

Survival, husband, kids . . . all reason to celebrate. Enjoy them.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Kids need more teachers like you. My children were so often turned off by their school writing assignments.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I'm with you on W1S1 - I've got a story written for this month and it's almost ready to sub...I think....

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

Julie Flanders said...

The Canada adventure sounds intriguing and fun! Kudos for the compliments on your writing classes, reading those must make you feel so great.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks! Yes, it feels good to think I might make a tiny, positive difference. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Susan! I just think that some days we need to write about challenges, or moldy socks, or adventure, along with the other days when we need to write book summaries and persuasive essays. I think most teachers would agree but we get caught up in trying to make all the teaching fit all the "requirements."

Tyrean Martinson said...

Go, Madeline!!!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, we are looking for our mini-Canada time. And, the compliments are super nice and they definitely help when I'm in the midst of grading papers. :)

SK Anthony said...

Aww I love that you're celebrating your kids' talents, adventures, and inner beauty. :D

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, S.K.!

Misha Gerrick said...

Congrats on finishing those notes! I'm postponing on some of my goals too. My new business it just taking too much time.

So much so, I'm not quite sure if I'll be able to NaNo this year. :-(

Heather R. Holden said...

Wow, so many fantastic compliments. Yay you! Getting kids to love writing must be your superpower... ;)

L.G. Keltner said...

If kids are enjoying their writing assignments, you're doing something right! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Captain Wrath -- yes, please! That's a great compliment. Now with Common Core, we're writing more than ever in my classes. Two essays this week, over 200 I get to grade. Good times. =]

Trisha said...

You are doing so well with your goals! And they sure are crazy goals, but you're making it happen! well done. :)

I am just happy I finally got through the on-screen edit of my current chapter, after taking probably 2 months to do so. ;)